19th century Fort Edward — losing a shirt factory
Fort Edward officials had hopes for reviving a dormant shirt factory in the town.
“Several parties from out of town have been looking at our shirt factory, but none of them have made any final bargain for it yet,” The Commercial Advertiser of Sandy Hill, now Hudson Falls, reported on Feb. 25, 1880.
Their hopes were dashed when the Glens Falls Shirt Co. bought the business and moved the operation to Glens Falls,
“Our shirt company is no more,” the Fort Edward correspondent reported in The Commercial Advertiser on March 17.
Following is more 19th century Fort Edward news collected from historic newspapers of the region.
- There was a new social club in town.
“A society has been organized in our village who call themselves the “Tough Club,” the Fort Edward correspondent to The Commercial Advertiser reported on Jan. 14, 1880. “But after attending several of their meetings, your correspondent is of the opinion that the toughest part of the club is in the name, although some of them are said to be pretty tough when playing dominoes.”
- “There are prospects that S.H. Powers’ dancing school will be well patronized at Fort Edward. About fifteen couples have signified their interest in joining.” — The Morning Star, Oct. 30,1888
- The gentlemen came to the aid of The Ladies Aid Society of Fort Edward Methodist Episcopal Church in preparing a charity dinner to raise funds to help the poor.
“A novel entertainment will take place at the Fort Edward Methodist Episcopal Church this evening,” The Morning Star reported on Dec. 18, 1888. “The gentlemen will cook and serve supper in place of the ladies, and a prize will be offered for the one who succeeds the best in the culinary art.”
- “A happier party could not be found,” The Morning Star reported Feb. 4, 1889 of a “hop” that the Acorn Grays social club held Feb. 2 at the Bradley Opera House in Fort Edward.
About 50 couples attended, including some from Sandy Hill, now Hudson Falls, and Glens Falls.
“At about nine o’clock the grand march was led by John J. Morgan and Miss Anna Fitzgerald.”
Dancing to music by Sim’s five-piece orchestra continued until 1 a.m.