19th century logging — One for the record books

Maury Thompson
2 min readJan 11, 2024

It was one for the record books.

“The Schroon River log drive, in charge of John H. Stone of Warrensburg, has broken the record for several days,” The Morning Star of Glens Falls reported on June 19, 1894. “The distance from the mouth of Branch to Schroon Lake was made in three days and a half with seven men, and from the lake to Richards’ Mills with twelve men in five days.”

In other 19th century logging news collected from historic newspapers of the region:

  • “The firm of A.C. Emerson & Co, of Warrensburg purchased a large tract of land at North Hudson,” The Morning Star reported on July 7, 1894. “Three members of the firm are on a tour of inspection of the property. They propose to clear the river of obstructions and build dams to facilitate the floating of logs to their mills at Warrensburg.”
  • Finch, Pruyn & Co. bought about 680 acres of land along the Boreas River, known as the old Powell Smith Hotel property, on the Boreas River from Elmer E. Dunlap, The Morning Star reported on Aug. 31, 1894.

“The possession of this property now gives the company control of the Boreas from the ponds to the Hudson River. The hotel is a favorite resort for sportsmen during the hunting and fishing season.”

  • “P. Moynehan of this village (Glens Falls) has a gang of thirty men cutting spruce logs for the pulp mill at Palmer Falls. The logs are being cut within three miles of North Creek, and are shipped by rail to the mill,” The Morning Star reported on Dec. 1, 1894.
  • “The new steam mill of the Morgan Lumber Company in South Glens Falls has shut down for the winter,” The Morning Star reported on Dec. 4, 1894. “The old mills, operated by waterpower, will finish their stock of logs tonight. Most of the men employed in the mills will soon go into the lumber woods.”

Click here to read the most recent previous 19th century logging post.



Maury Thompson

Freelance history writer and documentary film producer from Ticonderoga, NY