19th century Ti — Port Henry Lee House opens
This is the latest in an occasional series of posts about news reported in 19th century weekly issues of the Ticonderoga Sentinel.
The Lee House hotel, which later would house many silent film stars and now is a senior citizen apartment complex, at Port Henry was set to open on August 10, 1874.
“This new and capacious (roomy) hotel is very pleasantly situated on Main Street in the heart of the village and is three stories high,” the Ticonderoga Sentinel reported on Aug. 8, 1874.
Edward Hughes of Port Henry did the brick work, and M.B. Lamos of Crown Point the woodwork.
In other Aug. 10, 1874 Ticonderoga Sentinel news:
The Mount Defiance Drama Club was building a stage and making other improvements at Field’s Hall.
John H. More killed a four-foot rattle snake in his barn.
“Another picnic Wednesday at Black Point. … Another invoice of new goods at Delano & Ives.”
“Crown Point communication too late for publication. … We should be pleased to hear from our North Hudson correspondent oftener.”
The Ticonderoga Village Nine was set to play The Lake George Manufacturing Club in baseball that afternoon at the grounds near the cotton factory.
C.D. Dan was set to present a stereopticon program Aug. 9 at the old Congregational Church.
“The road up hill may be hard, but at any rate it is open, and they who set stout hearts against a stiff hill shall climb it yet. What was hard to bear will be sweet to remember.”
Click here to read the most recent previous post in the series.