19th century Ti — Slow news from Newcomb
This is the latest in an occasional series of posts about news reported in 19th century weekly issues of the Ticonderoga Sentinel.
News from Newcomb took a long time to reach Ticonderoga Sentinel readers in 1874.
“Business is dull, not one-half the lumbering is being done as formerly in this section,” the Newcomb correspondent wrote in a Dec. 7 dispatch, published Dec. 26, 1874 in the Sentinel.
“The long, cold and dreary winter has again come. Sleighing is good, and has been since about the 20th (of November.)”
Mail left Newcomb twice a week, headed in two different directions.
On Thursdays, a stage headed south from Long Lake and Newcomb transported mail to Minerva, and returned to Long Lake the following Wednesday.
On Fridays, a stage headed east from Newcomb transported mail to Schroon River, and returned to Newcomb on Saturday.
It was not reported what route mail headed for Ticonderoga was transported on from either Minerva or Schroon River.
Hunting season had been good at Newcomb.
“An unusual number of deer have been killed during the fall. Venison has sold for from 12 to 15 cents per pound,” — the equivalent of $2.91 to $3.64 in 2021 dollars.
In other Dec. 26, 1874 Ticonderoga Sentinel news:
- George C. Weed paid off $121.68 — the equivalent of $2,952 in 2021 dollars — in debt on behalf of the Ticonderoga Methodist Episcopal Church.
“Long may he live and prosper is the wish of all the church,” said the Rev. J. H. Stewart, the church pastor.
- Samuel Taylor of Crown Point moved his shoe and boot business into the Crown Point House.
“Customers can get their work just when it is promised. Sam’s work is good, and so are his boots.”
- S. H. Miller of Hague was appointed deputy sheriff.
- “Another eating saloon has put in an appearance. It is located opposite the Central House, and, judging by the sign, we can conclude Grangers, particularly, will be warmly welcomed. The institution was dedicated Saturday night.”
The Central House was located on what is now Montcalm Street, on the property where The Burleigh House would later be built. That would place the new restaurant in the vicinity of what is now The Burleigh Luncheonette.
- “John Wiley is building a large, first-class ice house in the rear of his new store.”
- “Wm. Du Ross is erecting a substantive and convenient black smith shop on Howe Street, and will soon be ready to do all kinds of plain and fancy work in his line.”
“Good Coffee — Use about one table-spoonful for each person, and one egg mixed with it. Place this in a coffee pot, put in a little cold water, then the desired amount of boiling water. Place upon the stove and let it come to a boil. … Boil two minutes, when it will be ready for use.”
Click here to read the most recent previous post in this series.