Century-old Ti — Recycling historic architecture
This is the latest in a series of posts about news reported a century ago in the Ticonderoga Sentinel.
Fred L. Porter bought the towers of the old Crown Point furnace to demolish the structures and re-use the bricks.
“The unsightly, dilapidated towers and walls of the old Crown Point furnace, monuments to a once thriving industry, will soon be a thing of the past,” the Ticonderoga Sentinel reported on Oct. 21, 1920.
Porter planned to construct a warehouse that would have space to store up to 15,000 barrels of apples.
“He is to use the bricks, or part of them, in a cold storage warehouse that he is to build at his farm for the storage of apples. … This building gives storage room more than sufficient for his present needs, his apple crop this year being a little less than six thousands barrels.”
In other Oct. 21, 1921 Ticonderoga Sentinel news:
Tilly Lee, a thoroughbred fox hound owned by Frank H. Peck of Ticonderoga, won second place in the open class at a dog show and field trials near Boston.
“Her owner turned down an offer of three hundred dollars for her after the trial.”
John J. Burke of Framingham, Mass., who had been a chef at Lake Placid the previous season, married a Ticonderoga woman and brought her home to help run a business venture.
Burke and Bessie Wells were married at Lake Placid a few weeks before Burke leased the Ticonderoga Inn to operate the hotel for the season.
Fisher Blakeley of South Ticonderoga hosted a box supper party on Oct. 14. “Dancing was indulged in and everybody spent a most enjoyable evening.”
The Rev. Samuel Shaw was installed as pastor at United Presbyterian Church in Putnam.
Click here to read the most recent previous post in the series.