Maury Thompson

Sep 30, 2021

2 min read

Century-old Ti — Repurposing landmarks

This is the latest in a series of posts about news reported a century ago in the Ticonderoga Sentinel.

Historic buildings at the Crown Point hamlet of Hammondville, where mines had been shut down, were being dismantled to use the materials elsewhere.

“Two old Hammondville, Crown Point, landmarks, relics of the halcyon days of the abandoned village, are being removed,” the Ticonderoga Sentinel reported on Sept. 8, 1921.

Burroughs Brothers of Port Henry bought the Company Store building and was dismantling the structure to reuse the lumber to build a duplex at Port Henry.

Grimes and Clark of Ticonderoga bought the Locke House to dismantle the structure to re-use the building materials.

In other Sept. 8,1921 Ticonderoga Sentinel news:

  • Ronald “Bunnie” Lodge was speechless when he won the annual Chilson tennis championship on Aug. 27.

The prize was a “solid Ivory soap cup.” (Is it a cup carved from Ivory soap, or a fancy cup designed to hold a bar of Ivory soap?)

“Mr. Lodge expressed his appreciation in a long silence.”

  • Elizabeth Mulvey of Ticonderoga enrolled in nurse’s training school at Champlain Valley Hospital in Plattsburgh.
  • Friends of Moses-Ludington Hospital was conducting a canned fruit and vegetable drive in Ticonderoga, Schroon Lake, Minerva, Newcomb, Pottersville, Putnam. Moriah and Hague.

“They ask that each housewife, when she is canning foods of this sort, set aside at least one can for the hospital. In this way it will be possible, if all respond to the appeal as they should, to secure a supply that will carry the hospital through the winter.”

  • Galen J. DeLorme visited family and friends at Crown Point for a few weeks after graduating Palmer School of Chiropractic at Davenport, Iowa.

Philanthropist Horace Moses visited Moses-Ludington Hospital and complimented the management on its excellent operation.

Click here to read the most recent previous post in the series.