Downtown January 1895 — Clearing snow

Maury Thompson
3 min readApr 9, 2024

The harness-racing track took precedence over village streets for the debut of new snow-clearing equipment.

“The new snow scraper recently constructed under the direction of Street Commissioner Botley was pressed into service for the first time yesterday in the work of getting the old half-mile track in shape for driving,” The Morning Star of Glens Falls reported on Jan. 19, 1895. “The snow, when scraped up, is thrown back into a box attachment holding several ordinary team loads. When this box is full, it can be drawn away and dumped, doing away with services of shovelers. This scraper might be profitably employed on our business streets after heavy storms.”

In other January 1895 downtown Glens Falls news collected from historic newspapers of the region:

  • “Mrs. Hannah Eddy of Glens Falls was 90 years old Tuesday, and the day was observed with appropriate ceremony at home,” The Granville Sentinel reported on Jan. 18. “During the past twelve months Mrs. Eddy has completed two bed quilts, one containing 1,520 pieces and the other 1,584 pieces, and has a third quilt under way. The work of piecing and putting together the quilts was done by the aged woman unaided.”
  • “Joseph Hall, West Street, is preparing to cut a a crop of ice and will embark in the ice business next spring,” The Morning Star reported on Jan. 19. “With three dealers in the field, the wants of Glens Falls consumers should be pretty well supplied.”
  • “The Rochester Clothing Company has inaugurated a movement that will doubtless be appreciated by many,” The Morning Star reported on Jan. 23. “To all visitors of their store between the hours of eleven and one a cup of coffee will be served free.”
  • Downtown Glens Falls lost an employer.

“On or about the first of February the home office of AEtna Livestock Insurance Company will be removed from Glens Falls to 114 and 116 Nassau Street, New York. The company was organized here in 1891,” The Morning Star reported on Jan. 23. “At the annual meeting held a few days ago, the stock, or the greater part thereof, was transferred to New York and Brooklyn parties, and an entire new board of directors and officers were elected.”

  • “With every gallon of molasses or syrup sold The People’s Store during the remainder of this week, L. H. Leighton will give a gallon for free,” The Morning Star reported on Jan. 25.
  • “Lyman Beebe will exhibit the graphophone, Edison’s talking machine, at the Park Street schoolhouse this evening,” The Morning Star reported on Jan. 25.
  • “Another coal yard will be established adjacent to the Feeder in the spring,” The Morning Star reported on Jan. 25. “John H. O’Connor has leased from Duncan McGregor a plot of land on Mohican Street, in the rear of the New Hall House, and early in the spring will build the coal pockets and sheds necessary to his business. He will also build a dock on the bank of the Feeder, just above the Glen Street bridge.”
  • “Winter and Frederick Terriant have bought a horse and sleigh and gone into the business of peddling kerosene oil,” The Morning Star reported on Jan. 29.
  • “Smalton & Sullivan, the South Street liverymen, have purchased from Nelson LaSalle a large gondola sleigh for straw rides and parties. It will seat twenty-four persons,” The Morning Star reported on Jan. 29.
  • “Two sleigh loads, or about 25 couples, of Glens Falls young people will attend a social hop tonight at the hotel at Wilton,” The Morning Star reported on Jan. 30.
  • “Richard O’ Brien’s icehouse on Mohican Street is nearly filled, about 1,100 tons having been stored in it,” The Morning Star reported on Jan. 30. “Earl Smith is filling the Rockwell House refrigerator as well as his own icehouse on South Street. The harvest is nearing its close, the dealers having secured nearly a full supply.”

Click here to read the most recent previous downtown Glens Falls history post.



Maury Thompson

Freelance history writer and documentary film producer from Ticonderoga, NY