History threads — Collar device stops profanity
This is the latest in an occasional series of posts about the history of the garment industry in Warren, Washington, Saratoga and Essex counties.
Robert E. Twing, a clothing retailer on Warren Street in Glens Falls, invented a collar device to keep a neck tie in place.
“The neck tie passes through two slits in the collar and is held in place by bands,” The Morning Star reported on Sept. 5, 1883.
Versions of the device were being manufactured to attach to both turn-down and stand-up collars.
“With the adoption of this device the world will be spared a volume of profanity from the man who is in a hurry and can now make his neck tie fit beneath the collar.”
On Sept.10 The Morning Star reported that Twing had set up local manufacturing operations at 3 Warren St. and hiring button hole workers.
“Good wages guaranteed,” Twing promised.
Robust business at Glens Falls collars and shirt factories continued in summer 1883.
Employees at Glen Shirt Company were working mandatory overtime to meet demand, The Morning Star reported on Aug. 15, 1883.
“A clean shirt is a luxury, and, if we may judge from demand for the article, the American people are falling into luxurious habits,”
J. L. Libby & Co. on Park Street was advertising to hire 25 experienced collar stitchers, The Morning Star reported on Aug. 28, 1883.
“Business in the Glens Falls shirt and collar factories was never more brisk than at present. Plenty of work and good wages are the rule.”
Click here to read the most recent previous post in the series.