KofC construction — Ready to break ground
This is the first in an occasional series of posts about construction of the Glens Falls Knights of Columbus hall in 1921. The building at the corner of Warren and Center streets is now the offices of the Fitzgerald Morris Baker Firth law firm and Adirondack Regional Chamber of Commerce.
The Glens Falls Knights of Columbus was preparing to break ground on its new building at the corner of Warren and Center streets, The Post-Star reported on July 12, 1921.
The 90 x 61-foot auditorium auditorium, seating 1,600 for concerts and plays and 1,200 for basketball games, was expected to be ready for use by around Thanksgiving.
“Preliminary work has already been started. The large trees have been removed and the batter boards have been set for the excavation and the foundation of concrete.”
A swimming pool and bowling alley were planned for the basement; club rooms, a library and offices on the first floor; billiard rooms and officers’ quarters on the second floor; and sleeping rooms on the third and fourth floors.
Bids were set to be opened on July 21.
Thomas L. Gleason of Albany was the architect. Gleason also designed the Knights of Columbus hall at Cohoes.