LG tourism — June 1889
Lake George residents were hopeful that that government would make good on a promise to improve infrastructure.
“Highway commissioner Connery made a recent visit to East Lake George, says our correspondent at that place, and he expressed his determination to have good roads this summer if work will do it,” The Morning Star of Glens Falls reported on June 4,1889.
Hotel operators were getting ready for the summer season.
George Ferris expected to open his hotel on June 17.
“Many improvements are being made. … Mr. Ferris expects a busy season.”
The Marion House was set to open June 22 and The Pearl Point House on June 25.
The Phoenix Hotel and the Trout House, both at Hague, each had a few boarders on June 4.
The steamer Horicon began delivering mail to the Katskill Bay post office for the season on June 1.
“PostmasterCronkite still holds the fort, notwithstanding the change in (presidential) administrations.”
Botlon was beginning to look busy.
“Quite a number of people from the distant cities are seen daily around our little village, which makes us think that the glorious summer is at hand,” the Bolron correspondent reported on June 7.
“Hotels and boarding houses are ready for boarders. Now, let them come,” The East Lake George correspondent reported in The Morning Star on June 10.
A telephone was set to be installed at the Agawam at Lake George, with connections to Glens Falls, The Morning Star reported on June 17.
The Mohican House hotel of Lake George hired George Guyette of Glens Falls as its cook for the season.
Captain J. C. Haile was set to begin trips for the season on his steam yacht Geneva on June 20.
“She will stop at the Grove House dock, Katskill Bay, on signal.”
The Crosbyside Hotel opened for the season June 17.
“The house did a thriving business last summer, and Landlord Crosby expects that the season just opened may also be a succesful one.”
Most hotels and cottages had opened for the season, or would be open soon, The Morning Star reported on June 18.
The Lake House had about 30 guests, and The Fort William Henry Hotel was busier than usual for that time of year.
“Lake George has cleand up, donned its holiday fixings, as it were, and is now in the state of anxious expectation for the incoming tide of summer travel. … Seekers after real rest, amidst the most attractive surroundings, make the lake their permanent summer home, and there are not afew families whose regular visits date back twenty or thirty years.”
On June 21, The Morning Star reported that construction of a new dancing pavillion at The Fort William Henry Hotel was almost finished.
On June 22, The Morning Star reported that American Indian basketnakers who had camped at Cronkhite’s grounds at East Lake George the past two summers returned for another season.
“Lake George has never looked more attractive than at present. Business is awakening, and a lively season is looked for,” The Morning Star reported on June 25. “The steamer Ticonderoga has arrived at the head of the lake, and prepared to resume her regular trips for the season.”
On June 26, The Morning Star reported that The Hundred Island House hotel had 15 guests.
Click here to read the most recent previous Lake George tourism history post.