Local music history — Sing for your ‘appetizing spread’
House-to-house serenades were not just a celebration of Christmas in 19th century Glens Falls.
“The Glens Falls Glee Club went to Lawn cottage on Glen Street, last evening, and tendered Mr. and Mrs. Fish and their guests a serenade,” The Morning Star of Glens Falls reported on Aug.3, 1888. “The singers were invited inside and partook of an appetizing spread, after which other selections were rendered. All had a merry time.”
From Lawn cottage, the Glee Club progressed to the homes of C.W. Long on Bay Street and W.H. Guildersleeve on Glen Street, where the singers serenaded homeowners and their summer guests.
The next evening the Glens Falls Glee Club performed several selections at a “well-attended meeting” of the Queensbury Republican Club.
In other local music news collected from Northern New York historic newspapers:
- Theodore C. Clark, the 19th century piano tuner and repairer at Bissell’s Temple of Music at Monument Square in Glens Falls, was also a composer of dance music.
The Morning Star on Aug. 2, 1888, thanked Clark for providing a copy of sheet music to his new “Candarago Polka.”
Clark also composed “Waltz of the Fairies,” “Sheridan’s March,” and “Sharon Polka.”
- On June 2, 1888, The Morning Star reported that Professor J.T. Holding, former organist at St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church, was now leading the orchestra on an Albany steamer day-excursion line.
- On June 25,1888, The Morning Star reported that the new pipe organ at the Fort Edward Baptist Church was used for its first service the previous day.
“The organ is placed back of the pulpit and improves the interior of the church greatly.”
- It was a day of fun for these young singers.
“The choir boys of the Church of the Messiah will picnic at Lake George today,” The Morning Star reported on July 2, 1888. “They go by wagons this morning, accompanied by the Rev. F.M. Godson and their instructor, Professor Atwood.”
Click here to read my most recent previous Local Music History post.